Raise Your Original Voice!
July 19, 2019
11 AM PDT | 12 PM MDT | 1 PM CDT | 2 PM EDT
Most memoir writers have faith in their stories but many aren’t as confident about voice. What is it, and how do we capture it on the page? Think of voice as a book’s personality. It’s the emotional energy behind our words that unifies the memoir’s structure, setting and story. But too often the life experiences that create a compelling memoir erode a writer’s ability to express their voice. This in turn affects how she or he perceives and speaks about the truth. In this teleseminar, we’ll discuss a simple process to unpack our original voice and the truth that yearns to be told so we can approach the page with more freedom, honesty and creativity.
In this teleseminar, you will:
- Find out how to embrace voice as the unifying force of your memoir.
- Examine how projections affect a memoir; Joey will lead a dialogue exercise that opens the door to finding a new perspective.
- Discover ways to strengthen your dedication to push past barriers and express all the words you have not said.
- Learn how developing awareness about your truth, opinions, and perspective helps you manage the expectations and worries about how others will judge your writing.
- Add style and energy to your writing by learning to let the story breathe without the distraction of getting caught in the emotions. Learn how to distance yourself from the events you’re writing about.
- Give yourself permission to dig deeper and write from different parts of yourself—each part has a voice.
- Engage the original voice for your story that inspires the reader to stay up all night reading.
- Accepting your multi-dimensional layers of truth helps the healing process that often comes when developing your unique voice.
Joey Garcia is the founder and director of The Belize Writers’ Conference where writers and authors vacation with New York literary agents at a beachfront resort in her native Belize. She is the author of “When Your Heart Breaks, It’s Opening to Love: Healing and finding love after an affair, heartbreak or divorce” which received a national award for books that inspire tolerance and forgiveness. For more than 20 years she has written a relationship advice column and is a Relationship Expert for a network television station. Her personal essays, poetry and short stories have been published in Brevity, POUi, The Caribbean Writer and Calyx, among others and she has received numerous writing awards including a Pushcart nomination. Through “Start The Press” she provides memoir coaching and book publicity services to writers and authors. Joey is at work on her memoir proposal while her agent pitches her novel to publishers.
The Belize Writers Conference, April 25 -29, 2020 at Jaguar Reef Lodge in Hopkins, Belize. Manuscript critiques with literary agents, workshops and panels on the book business and lots of time to relax, write and read by the Caribbean Sea. Learn what you need to know whether you plan to self-published, be traditionally published or work with a hybrid press. www.joeygarcia.com/events or firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I sign up for this seminar. This is an exciting
topic. I look forward to it. I just finished reading
VOICE by JAMES SCOTT BELL.Thankyou