June Member webinar
June 23, 2017
11 AM PDT 12 PM MDT 1 PM CDT 2 PM EDT
When you first think about writing the story of your life, you may remember major challenges or disruptions. Over time, you begin looking at yourself as the hero/heroine on a quest to find something. What is the thing you’re looking for? What is the purpose of your life journey?
In this presentation, Jerry Waxler, memoir author and teacher, will show how the Memoir Revolution, currently in swing for people of all ages, is about finding the True You, hidden within all the complexities of your unique experiences.
We’ll explore five ways that memoir writing is about finding your authentic self.
- Becoming you in the first place (the coming of age memoir)
- Reestablishing a sense of self-worth and empowerment after illness or loss of a loved one (grieving, recovery from trauma)
- Course correction: Adjusting or readjusting personhood in midlife
- Finding true cultural connection (finding one’s way through identity challenges, immigration, mixed culture, religion, or race)
- Returning, through your memories, to discover the truth and meaning of your own past
Jerry Waxler writes, coaches, and teaches about how to awaken human potential through life story writing. Jerry’s blog and book Memoir Revolution champions the social trend to turn life into Story. His self-help book, How to Become a Heroic Writer, provides self-help tools to find the courage and time to write your own story. Jerry’s memoir Thinking My Way to the End of the World is about his attempt to come of age during the sixties. He is on the advisory board of the National Association of Memoirs. He has a master’s degree in counseling psychology, and teaches writing classes at Northampton Community College.
How can I sign up for this one?
This one is our monthly event for Members only. Since you’re a member, you will receive the information automatically via email the week of the event.
Is this recording available yet on NAMW site? Unfortunately, I had to miss this live and I’m hoping I can catch a recording. Thanks!
Jerry, what great topics!
When you discover good stories written by those who follow you, please let the authors know that the wisdom of their words can be saved and shared through Life Story Library.